Skin needling, also called micro-needling treatment, is a minimal down time skin rejuvenation procedure that uses a device containing fine needles that puncture the skin to create a very superficial skin injury with each puncture triggering the body to fill these microscopic areas with new collagen and elastic fibers. The result is improvement in skin texture and firmness with reduction in scars, pore size and in some stretch marks.
The technique was developed as far back as the 1950’s but recently popularized by new technology that allows for micro needling to be performed with sophisticated, compact hand-held micro-needling devices.
The Skin Care Professionals utilizes the Eclipse Micropen™ a proven, reliable and predictable micro-needling device made by an industry leader.
The procedure is safe, (using single use, disposable needle systems) and is often more suitable than chemical peeling and laser resurfacing for areas around the eyes, mouth, hands and chest.
- The procedure is well tolerated by patients with minimal down time, although, depending upon the desired result, the treatment depth and extent may vary.
- Most patients may continue normal sports activities in 24 hours and return to most work and social environments in 24 – 48 hours.
- Topical anesthetic cream is often used for patient comfort during the procedure.
- Multiple treatments are recommended, typically 3-4 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart.
- A maintenance treatment every 6-12 months may be recommended to maintain the results.
The micro-needling concept is to trigger new collagen production and its benefits extend to all skin types and skin color. Although redness may occur immediately after the treatment it usually subsides by 24-48 hours. Micro-needling is especially beneficial in darker skin types where lasers and chemical peels can often cause hyper-pigmentation following treatment.
Overall, micro-needling is an exciting and beneficial addition to the skin care options available at The Skin Care Professionals. Please contact our office if you have further interest in the benefits of micro-needling with the Eclipse Micropen™